Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Lawnscaping Challenge: Watercoloring and Iron-Off Embossing

Hello my crafty friends! I had so much fun making my last card for the Lawnscaping Challenge, I thought I'd go ahead and make another card using watercolors. For this card, I decided to keep it CAS and to finally try out the iron-off embossing technique.


 photo Challenge86.jpg

I started off by heat embossing the clouds from the Lawn Fawn "Into the Woods" stamp set using white embossing powder. I then "smooshed" some Tumbled Glass and Broken China onto my non-stick craft sheet. I laid a sheet of Tim Holtz Watercolor cardstock directly onto the distress inks and smooshed my cardstock around making sure I covered the entire panel. Once I was happy with the result, I set the panel aside to dry.

While my watercolor panel was drying, I colored the little fox from the same Lawn Fawn set using Derwent Inktense Watercolor Pencils. I used a nice reddish brown (Willow - 1900). When using Inktense watercolor pencils, I prefer to pick up the color directly from the pencil tip using a paintbrush. I find this gives me the most control when watercoloring, particularly smaller images. I cut the fox out using the coordinating die and fussy-cut the log that I had stamped with Colorbox Chestnut Roan Brown ink. For the sentiment, I stamped the "Hello" speech bubble from the same Lawn Fawn stamp set and used the coordinating die to cut it out.

Once my watercolor panel dried, I laid it onto my ironing board a placed a scrap piece of cardstock over it. I set my iron on the low-medium setting and turned the steam setting to off. I must admit, it took a little longer than expected to remove all of the white embossing. I ended up raising heat setting a bit and kept ironing until all of the white embossing lifted onto the scrap cardstock. I'm not sure if my iron wasn't hot enough to begin with, or maybe I initially didn't iron it for long enough; however, I did use an actual piece of cardstock instead of typing paper. The next time I try this technique, I'll definitely try typing paper instead of cardstock. However once it was all done, I really liked how my watercolor panel came out!


To add some grass to the watercolor panel, I masked the top portion of the panel using a large post-it note. I "smooshed" some Peeled Paint onto my craft sheet and painted the grass in using a paintbrush. I adhered all of my stamped images onto the panel and matted the watercolor panel onto the yellow-striped pattern paper from the Lawn Fawn "Let's Polka" 6x6 Paper Pack. And finally, I adhered the layer onto a 4.25" x 4.25" square cardbase.

I hope you enjoyed this card and if you haven't already tried iron-off embossing, I highly encourage you to try it! And if you have any tips or advice on this technique, I would love to hear them! Until next time! ♥


Supplies:
Tim Holtz Distress Inks: Peeled Paint, Tumbled Glass, Broken China.

6 comments:

  1. This is super adorable! That little fox looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE coloring!!! Makes me want to break out my pencils! The yellow background really makes the card pop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely adorable! i LOVE the bright vibrant colors you acheived with the watercolors!! the fox is brilliant!! and i LOVE how much he stands out on that beautiful background! you totally have me itching to break out my inktense pencils now, too!! thanks so much for playing with us at the lawnscaping blog! :D

    ReplyDelete