Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Paper Smooches: Anything Goes (Wk 3) Challenge

Happy Hump Day! I can't believe we're already half way through the week! For this week's Paper Smooches challenge, I made a birthday card using the adorable chubby owl from the Paper Smooches Chubby Chums stamp set. I just absolutely love this stamp set; who could resist a bunch of chubby critters?!


 photo AnythingGoesPSSFINAL.jpg



Since I was planning on coloring the chubby owl with Copic Markers, I stamped it with Memento Tuxedo Black Ink onto some Neenah Solar White 80# cardstock. I used E42 to color in the body and G43 and Y32 for the two layers of feathers. Since I didn't have any matching Copics to add for shading, I first added a base layer of warm greys (W2, W4, W6). Shading in your image first with greys and then going over with your desired color is a great way to get more out of Copics. I absolutely love doing this since my Copic collection is still quite modest. I then colored in the beak and feet with YR12 and YR14. To add a little touch of girliness, I added a bit of blush using R20. 


Once I colored the chubby owl, I began working on my sentiment. I die cut a speech bubble from the Lawn Fawn "A Birdie Told Me" die set using a paper from the Pink Paislee "Hello Sunshine" 6x6 pack. I originally heat embossed the "woohoo" stamp from the Lawn Fawn "Critters in the Forest" stamp set using a gold embossing powder. However, it wasn't until after I assembled the card that I thought the sentiment didn't quite "pop" enough. So I die cut another speech bubble from the same paper and heat embossed the sentiment in white. I then simply adhered the new speech bubble over the original and voila, problem fixed!

I used pattern paper from the Fancy Pants "Happy-Go-Lucky!" 6x6 pack for the leafy circle backdrop and polka-dot background. I made the branch by cutting a thin strip of woodgrain pattern paper from the American Crafts "Everyday" 6x6 pack. I then die cut two thin strips of Bazzill Butter Mints cardstock using the Lawn Fawn Stitched Scalloped Border die. I used Antique Linen to distress the edges of all of the layers and then adhered them all onto an A2 cardbase using my favorite Kraft cardstock, Neenah Environment Desert Storm 100#

To jazz up the inside of the card, I die cut a scalloped frame using the Mame Elephant "Femme Frames" die and stamped the "it's your birthday!" sentiment from the Newton's Nook "Newton's Birthday Bash" stamp set. 



To finish up my card, I decided to add a little extra pizzazz by adding some matching Pretty Pink Posh sequins. I thought the sequins added that perfect finishing touch to the card.

Thanks again for stopping by and don't forget to swing by the Paper Smooches' Challenge Blog to enter into this week's "Anything Goes" challenge! ♥



Supplies:
Paper Smooches "Chubby Chums"
Lawn Fawn "Critters in the Forest"
Lawn Fawn "A Birdie Told Me" Lawn Cuts
Lawn Fawn Stitched Scalloped Borders Die
Newton's Nook "Newton's Birthday Bash"
Mame Elephant "Femme Frames" Creative Cuts
Sizzix Framelits Circle Wafer Thin Die Set
Pretty Pink Posh 4MM Metallic Gold Sequins
Pretty Pink Posh Lemon Meringue Sequins
Pretty Pink Posh 4MM Mossy Green Sequins
Pink Paislee "Hello Sunshine" 6x6 Pack
Fancy Pants "Happy-Go-Lucky!" 6x6 Pack
American Crafts "Everyday" 6x6 Pack
Bazzill Card Shoppe Paper - Butter Mints 8.5" x 11"
Neenah Environment Desert Storm 100#
Neenah Solar White 80# Cardstock
Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black Ink
Tim Holtz Distress Ink Antique Linen
Copic Markers: W2, W4, W6, E42, G43, Y32, YR12, Y14, R20.

3 comments:

  1. This is absolutely ADORABLE! So stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love those neutral colour tones and great advice for stretching those Copic colours too :0)
    Gorgeous card, thanks for sharing it with us at the PS Sparks blog this week x

    ReplyDelete