Friday, August 22, 2014

Birthday Koala Card featuring Lawn Fawn

Hello my crafty friends! Today's card was inspired by a card made by the very talented Nichol Magouirk. Her work never ceases to amaze and inspire me! I made this card for a dear friend of mine who absolutely loves koalas. To make this card, I used one of my favorite Lawn Fawn sets, "Critters Down Under." I finally picked up the coordinating dies for this set, and I cannot begin to tell you how much of a time-saver they are!

I'm also submitting this card for the Pretty Pink Posh "Cutting Edge Blop Hop." This exciting blog hop is open to everyone and ends August 25th. So be sure to swing by Paulina's blog to play along!

 photo photo.jpg



To begin this card, I die cut the cloud pattern paper from the Pink Paislee "Hello Sunshine" 6x6 paper pack using the stitched rectangle die from Mama Elephant's "Femme Frames." I also went ahead and die cut 3 different shades of green cardstock using the same die. Already having the green cardstock cut from the stitched rectangle die really helped me gauge the height I wanted each layer of grass to be. I used the "Grassy Border" die from Lawn Fawn to cut my grass. I used liquid glue to adhere all of my grassy layers onto my cloud panel and then mounted my entire panel onto a brown matte. 

I used Copic Markers to color all of the stamped images. For the cute koala, I used R01, T3, T5 and T7. For the little kookaburra bird I used YR14, YR16, YR18, W2, W4, Y11, Y13, G82 and G85. I must say, the kookaburra bird is probably one of my favorite Lawn Fawn birds. He is just so cute and I love how you can color him in so many different ways. I used E44 and E47 for the trees and YG95, YG97 and YG99 for all of the leaves. This would be the point when I'd have to spend a bunch of extra time fussy cutting all of the images, however with the new coordinating dies, it only took a few minutes, yay!

I adhered all of the stamped images directly onto the card panel using my handy-dandy ZIG 2-way glue pen. This is such a great way to adhere smaller images without having to worry about glue spilling out from under the edges. Since I already had a lot going on, I thought it would look nice to have the sentiment stamped on vellum. I stamped the "happy birthday" sentiment from the Simon Says Stamp "Sketchy Banner Greetings" and the speech bubble from the Lawn Fawn "A Birdie Told Me" onto some vellum and heat embossed it with gold embossing powder. Once I made sure my vellum and embossing had completely cooled, I used the coordinating speech bubble die to cut it out. I added tiny little dots of glue from my ZIG 2-way glue pen behind the embossed portions and adhered the sentiment directly onto the card. 


For the cardbase, I used the "Stitched Scalloped Border" die from Lawn Fawn to die cut scalloped edges on either side of the card. This is so easy to do and it really adds a cute and unique look to your card. Because my focal panel was a little too short for my cardbase, I ended up trimming the cardbase by about 1/4" from the bottom. I adhered the focal panel onto the cardbase using foam tape and voila, my card was finished!


I hope you like today's card and thanks again for stopping by! Until next time ♥

Supplies:
Copic Markers: R01, T3, T5, T7, YG95, YG97, YG99, E44, E47, YR14, YR16, YR18, W2, W4, Y11, Y13, G82, G85.

29 comments:

  1. This is fabulous! LOVE the scenery your designed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable, Yuki!! The sentiment looks great in gold and the edges of the card are so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way you created the scene! I have this stamp and die set, and I don't know why, but it's one of my favorites!! Great Card!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, this set is one of my favorites too! :)

      Delete
  4. Cute card! Great layers
    on it!
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the different grass layers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute card and I love the way you built up the layers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this Lawn Fawn set. The bird is so cute. Great scene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I think you and I must have very similar taste when it comes to stamp companies! This is just adorable! I Love the little scene you created for the cutie pie koala!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've created such a beautiful scene!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! Love your koala!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yuki, I love how natural this card turned out! Really looks like we're in land down under! ;)

    I wanted to drop by and tell you thanks for leaving me such kind words on the Sweet Stamp Shop blog! I'm going to keep in touch by following you on Instagram and follow your blog. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm looking forward to keeping in touch! ♥

      Delete
  12. Fantastic card. Love the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, this is so cute! I love all the layering and of course the super cute critters. tfs hugs, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a sweet card, I once spent a whole day fussy cutting out the stamps from this set, like you I am really glad of the die set

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute card! I love all the layers of grass in different shades. The scalloped sides are the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  16. l really love this card yuki!!!! l love how you set the scene and all the colours are blended perfectly!! Everything is perfect!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great little scene with lots of details...love those scalloped edges.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great card! So cute to have that little koala hanging from a tree!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun scene you created!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute scene you created!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really cute card Yukari. I know your friend will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the great dimension of you card! The coloration of the koala-bear is great!
    I think, your friend will love this card - what a lucky one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just discovered your blog through the blog hop - hello and it is adorable to see your card! I love that little Aussie scene... your colouring is great ;) I am like your friend and love koalas - she will simply adore this card, I'm sure, Rx

    ReplyDelete