Monday, August 4, 2014

Inky Paws Challenge #12 - Beach Theme Challenge

Hello! I know it's back to the usual grind, however to make your Monday a little brighter, I made a summer-themed card using the new Newton's Summer Vacation stamp set. This is just such an adorable and fun set, I was so excited to finally use it!
 photo NNDIPC_12_beach.png

To begin, I die cut the small banner from the Lawn Fawn "Stitched Party Banner" Dies from some light blue cardstock. I used the chisel end of a B21 Copic Marker to draw the tone-on-tone diagonal lines. This is a great way to get more out of your Copics and put the chisel ends to good use. To make the waves, I die cut some vellum using the medium stitched scalloped border die from Lawn Fawn. I used the negative portion and colored the backside with B24. This is my first attempt at coloring vellum with Copics and it'll definitely take some practice. I had to go over it with several layer to smooth out the hard streaks. But once the vellum had dried, I thought the streaks added some fun texture to the water.

For Newton, I colored him in using some warm grays and colored the inner tube using B24, B26, Y11 and Y13. I added some Clear Wink of Stella to the inner tube and tucked him in between the 2 layers of vellum. I thought the sentiment "you're a cool cat" was such an adorable and versatile sentiment. It could definitely be used for a multitude of occasions and it's pretty gender-neutral. To add a little extra touch of detail to the banner, I tied a nautical knot using some twine. I actually used the same twine my Newton's Nook stamps came wrapped in. I always love saving and recycling cute packaging whenever I can. 

For the background, I used 2 pattern papers from the Lawn Fawn "Hello Sunshine" 6x6 paper pad. I added some faux stitching using my white gel pen and adhered them onto a regular A2 cardbase. 

This was a super fun card to make and I had a lot of fun trying out some new techniques. I think this card is the perfect summer-time card for any guy or girl! Thanks again for stopping by and see you soon! ♥


Supplies:
Copic Markers: Y11, Y13, B21, B24, B26, W0, W2, W4, W6, R01, T5, T7.

10 comments:

  1. This is so adorable! I love how you layered the coloring to make the water go over the image a bit! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fun! I love that you used the chisel tip to create stripes - did you use a ruler or just freehand? I also love the vellum waves! Thanks so much for playing along with our Inky Paws Challenge at Newton's Nook Designs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Yes, I used a ruler to draw the lines. It was super easy!

      Delete
  3. This is gorgeous, Yuki! I love how you coloured the kitty and his inner tube, especially with the way the waves overlap it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so very impressed - Love all the background layers and the waves look so real that Newton is floating in!! Way to go - this is really awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute fun card! Thanks for playing along at the Inky Paws challenge!

    ReplyDelete