Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Mama Elephant August Challenge: Watercolor + Birthdays

Hello everyone! I can't believe we're already half way through the week! For this month's Mama Elephant card challenge, I made this fun watercolor card using techniques I learned from the Stretch Your Stamps 2 Online Card Class. If you aren't already enrolled in this class, I highly recommend you do! This is the first online card class I've ever enrolled in and it's been amazing! Everyday they showcase so many awesome techniques and provide so much inspiration. 
 photo watercoloringandbirthdays.png
 photo SYS2.png

To start this card off, I started with a sheet of watercolor paper. While normally I use the Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor Cardstock, I recently used up my last sheet. So for this card I used watercolor paper I purchased from Blick called Fluid Watercolor Paper. I must say, I actually really like this paper. It's 140 lbs and absorbs water beautifully. It's also quite affordable, which is always a plus in my book. I heat embossed the triangles from the Mama Elephant "On Point Borders" set with clear embossing powder. I then smooshed Peacock Feathers and Seedless Preserves onto my craft mat and used a paint brush with water to apply my watercolor background. I chose to use this method instead of "smooshing" my paper directly onto the ink to have a little bit more control of the blending and colors.

Once the background was completely dry, I die cut the large gift tag from the Lawn Fawn "Tag, You're It" die set directly from the watercolor background. I made sure to hold onto all of the pieces for later. I also die cut the gift tag 6 additional times from black cardstock. 


For my focal point, I used the Mama Elephant "Pandamonium" stamp set to stamp the cute little panda and the balloons from the "Up and Away" set. I colored the balloons using coordinating Copic Markers (B02, B04, V15, V17) and then I fussy cut both of the images. 

To assemble my focal point, I adhered the first tag I die cut from black cardstock. This allowed me to easily adhere the little hole punch from the watercolor background. I then glued the remaining 6 layers to each other and then onto the card. Since I didn't fussy cut the strings from the balloons, I re-stamped the image directly onto the gift tag. I then adhered the panda and balloons directly onto the gift tag. 

For the sentiment, I thought it would be so cool to use the "Sketchy Letters" alphabet set to create a custom sentiment and have each letter individually popped up. I used an extra strip of watercolor paper and used the same technique as the watercolor background. I then cut out each individual letter and adhered them onto the card using foam adhesive. I thought this gave such a unique and fun look to the card. 


To tie in the birthday theme, I stamped a second panda onto the inside of the card. I stamped a speech bubble from the Lawn Fawn "A Birdie Told Me" set and the birthday sentiment from Newton's Nook "Newton's Birthday Bash" set. 


I then decided my card needed a few extra details, so I applied clear Wink of Stella glitter to the balloons along with a thick coating of Glossy Accents.Even though I had already adhered the tag down, I decided I did in fact want to have a little bow. So I tied a bow using some spare bakers twine and adhered it to the tag using a glue dot. To finish the card I also applied some matching sequins from Pretty Pink Posh and Lawn Fawn.


And that's my card for today! I hope you enjoyed this card and thanks again for stopping by! ♥

Supplies:
Mama Elephant "Pandamonium"
Mama Elephant "Up and Away"
Mama Elephant "Sketchy Letters"
Mama Elephant "On Point Borders"
Lawn Fawn "Tag, You're It"
Lawn Fawn "A Birdie Told Me"
Newton's Nook "Newtons' Birthday Bash"
Tim Holtz Peacock Feathers Distress Ink
Tim Holtz Seedless Preserves Distress Ink
Hero Arts Ultra Fine Clear Embossing Powder
Ranger Archival Jet Black Dye Ink
Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black Dye Ink
Fluid Easy-Block Watercolor Paper Blocks
Bazzill Card Shoppe Cardstock
Ranger Glossy Accents
Pretty Pink Posh 6MM Amethyst Sequins
Pretty Pink Posh 6MM Sweetheart Sequins Mix
Pretty Pink Posh 4MM Sparkling Clear Sequins
Lawn Fawn "Into the Woods" Sequins
Copic Markers: B02, B04, V15, V17

5 comments:

  1. Your card is fantastic, I love the beautiful bold colours, isn't this class just so much fun! So glad you could join us at Mama Elephant & Me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this colour choice and the background you paint. The panda is also very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cool use of watercolor and I love your bright colors! Thanks so much for playing with us at Mama Elephant and me this month, hugs, Karin

    ReplyDelete