Wednesday, June 1, 2016

My Favorite Things - Happy Birthday to Ewe!

Hi crafty friends! For those in the US, I hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend! We enjoyed time with friends and we even got to enjoy some sunshine on Monday. It seems like I say this at the start of every month, but I seriously can't believe how quickly this year is flying by!

With the recent move and vacations earlier this year, I felt like I was constantly playing catch up. However, things have finally started to settle down, and I've had a little bit more free time, which works out perfectly because summer is right around the corner! I must admit, on a beautiful sunny day in Seattle, I find it so hard to stay inside and craft. I just want to hop on my bike and spend the long days outdoors :). But don't worry, I haven't neglected my craft area too much. After months of sitting on my desk, I finally got around to using the (new to me) My Favorite Things Ewe Are The Best set. I instantly fell in love with this set and picked it up when it was first released. I used the set today to create a super fun shaker birthday shaker card. I also used clear foam tape for the first time on a shaker card and learned a few things along the way too!
Happy Birthday to Ewe by Handmade by Yuki | Ewe are the Best by My Favorite Things
So to start things, I stamped all of the images onto smooth white card stock using my mini MISTI stamping tool and colored the images in with Copic Markers. I used the coordinating dies to cut all of the images out (super time saver!). I used Broken China and Chipped Sapphire distress inks for the background and lightly spritzed the background with water droplets. I die cut another white panel using an A2-sized stitched rectangle die which I cut in two pieces; one using a stitched puffy cloud border die and the the other portion with my paper trimmer. I added a piece of clear acetate for the shaker window.
Happy Birthday to Ewe by Handmade by Yuki | Ewe are the Best by My Favorite Things
Now to make it look like a shaker window with no edges, I used clear foam tape. Although I use this foam tape all of the time with vellum, I did find it particularly challenging to us with clear acetate. This particular brand of clear foam tape is quite sticky and stretches easily, so I found myself having to carefully mold it straight to the edges of the card. At one point my piece broke so I connected two pieces, which you can tell in the photos. Although I don't particularly mind that the foam tape is not 100% transparent, you can definitely still see it, I would have preferred it was a little bit more sturdy and less sticky. If you wanted to give this type of shaker card a try, I'd recommend trying it with the Fuse tool. This tool is still on my wishlist, but I can definitely see myself enjoying the different types of shaker cards I could make with it! I filled the shaker window with sequins and confetti from Pretty Pink Posh. I then white heat embossed the sentiment onto a piece of black card stock I die cut using a stitched banner die. To finish my card, I added some clear Wink of Stella glitter to the balloon, birthday hat and flowers. I then covered the balloon with Shimmer Pico Embellisher.

Overall I had so much fun making this card and really love how it turned out! I think the clear edges do provide a pretty cool effect and it made me realize how much I do want the Fuse tool lol! I hope you enjoyed today's card and thanks again for stopping by! I hope you have a wonderful day ♥!

Pretty Pink Posh


6 comments:

  1. This is one darling card, Yuki! I love the cute scene and the fun interactive of the shaking element. I've never try using clear foam tape for shaker cards before, but I will keep your tips in mind when I am ready to try something like this.

    I'm glad to hear that you finally found some time to create just for you! Creating for yourself is a lot more fun and definitely allow you to play with the stamps you actually want to use and experiment more with other various supplies you already have in your stash.

    I hope you have a great week, my friend! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute card Yuki. Beautifully created scene and it was good to read about your experience with the clear foam tape. I'd highly recommend Fuse tool, brilliant tool.
    Have a great day x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is one of the cutest cards I've ever seen! I can tell it took you some time and it looks like you enjoyed every moment! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This little scene is perfectly delightful and makes me smile!! Very CUTE Yuki. I didn't even know they made clear foam tape!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE everything about this! That background is awesome and just adore all the sequins and colors!
    Adorable!

    ReplyDelete